Tomato Beef is a classic home-cooked Cantonese dish. It goes very nicely with any stir-fried green vegetable.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. flank steak, cut into 2" strips
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, if desired (cut into wedges)
- Place beef in a bowl and add oyster sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Combine chicken broth, dark soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or medium skillet on medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking. Add oil. When oil is hot, add ginger slices. As soon as the ginger sizzles, add the beef, laying it flat in the pan. Let sear (brown) briefly, then stir-fry, stirring and tossing the meat until it is no longer pink.
- Push beef to the sides of the wok or skillet. Add tomatoes in the middle. Stir-fry for a minute, then add the chicken broth-soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil. Serve hot.