Tomato Bread Soup
Here’s a great way to use up leftover bread.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped (white part only)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups cubed day-old Italian bread
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil on medium. Sauté the leeks and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil. Boil gently for 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Add 1 cup of the broth, the salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread and top with Parmesan. If necessary, add the remaining broth to reach the desired consistency.