Tomato and Cheese Tart
Store-bought puff pastry makes this an easy, attractive brunch item. Always look for puff made with real butter rather than shortening—guests can tell.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large leeks, sliced and thoroughly washed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 oz. raclette, Havarti, or Gouda cheese, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby greens or Arugula
- Heat oven to 375°F. Roll the pastry out to fit a 10" tart pan; prick the rolled dough with the tines of a fork in several places. Arrange the dough in the pan and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat; sauté the leeks and thyme until the leeks are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Spoon the leeks into the tart shell; cover with the cheese. Arrange the tomatoes in circle on top of the cheese. Bake 30-40 minutes, until cheese begins to brown and the crust is golden. Top with greens and serve