Tomato and Cheese Tart
Store-bought puff pastry makes this an easy, attractive brunch item. Always look for puff made with real butter rather than shortening—guests can tell.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large leeks, sliced and thoroughly washed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 oz. raclette, Havarti, or Gouda cheese, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby greens or Arugula
- Heat oven to 375°F. Roll the pastry out to fit a 10-inch tart pan; prick the rolled dough with the tines of a fork in several places. Arrange the dough in the pan and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat; sauté the leeks and thyme until the leeks are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Spoon the leeks into the tart shell; cover with the cheese. Arrange the tomatoes in circle on top of the cheese. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until cheese begins to brown and the crust is golden. Top with greens and serve