Use canned tomatoes in this recipe since they are canned at their sweetest ripeness and will be further cooked anyway. You will get more fiber and texture from fresh tomatoes, however, and a few green ones will give the chutney more fibrous zip.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cups diced, peeled tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ½ cup minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- Combine the sugar and vinegar in a nonreactive saucepan and heat over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and shallots to the pan along with the ginger, white pepper, and cloves.
- Turn the heat up and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and refrigerate in a covered container.