Tomato Egg-Flower Soup
Beef and tomato are a natural combination. For a heartier soup, add
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 medium tomatoes
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, minced
- A few drops of sesame oil
- Bring the 4 cups of beef broth to a boil.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the tomatoes briefly in the boiling water. (This will make it easier to remove the peel.) Peel the tomatoes and cut each into 6 equal pieces.
- When the beef broth comes to a boil, add the white pepper, salt, sugar, rice wine, and tomatoes. Bring the broth back to boiling.
- Mix the cornstarch and water, and pour it into the soup, stirring to thicken. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the egg white into the soup and quickly stir in a clockwise direction to form thin shreds.
- Add the green onions and a few drops of sesame oil. Give the soup a final stir.