This very versatile spread works great as a dip for vegetables or as a creative topping for roasted meats such as lamb.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large eggplant (1½ lbs.)
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Wash and dry the eggplant. Cut the eggplant in half and place on baking sheet cut-side down. Cook for a few minutes until the skin blisters and chars, checking several times and adjusting the position of the eggplant halves to make sure the skin cooks evenly. Turn off broiler
- Heat oven to 400°F. Bake the eggplant for 50 minutes. Remove the eggplant from oven. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Scoop out the flesh and place in a food processor. Discard the remaining skin.
- Add the sundried tomatoes and olive oil to the food processor. Use a citrus zester to get ½ teaspoon lemon zest; add to processor. Juice the lemon and add to the processor. Process the contents until fairly smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.