Peel tomatoes by dropping them in boiling water until their skins start to shrivel. Then remove from water and carefully peel away the skins, as tomatoes will be hot.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb. Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Place tomatoes in a colander and set aside to drain 15 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, feta, egg, flour, onions, oregano, salt, and pepper; mix together thoroughly until smooth and fluffy. Refrigerate and chill mixture 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep-sided frying pan; take spoonfuls of chilled mixture and carefully drop into oil. Turn using spatula until both sides are nicely browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes; remove with slotted spoon and place on platter lined with paper towels to drain.