Tomato and Goat Cheese Pastries
Warm herbed cheese and tomato make a divine appetizer when nestled in flaky pastry. These make an excellent brunch and party food.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. garlic
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup herbed goat cheese
- 2 large tomato slices
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Very lightly flour a work surface and gently unfold the pastry and gently flatten out. Cut 2 large circles out of the pastry dough. Next, gently make a smaller circle indentation inside each of the two cut circles. Be careful not to go all the way through! Prick inside circle with a fork so the inside circle remains flat and the outside rim will puff up.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, garlic, basil, and lemon zest. Mix together and divide up between the two pastries, spreading the mixture in the inside circle of the tarts. Crumble up the goat cheese and add on top of the mixture. Top with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot or cold.