Tomato and Hearty Grains Soup
Garnish with green onions or a bit more of the mixed herbs.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup raw millet
- 2 bay leaves
- 2½ tsp. chopped parsley
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, rice, barley, millet, bay leaves, parsley, and broth. Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook for 1 hour, stirring every so often, since the grains tend to sink to the bottom of the pot. Discard the bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes.