Tomato and Mozzarella Baked Eggs
Need a quick dinner? As long as you have diced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, eggs, and any fresh herbs on hand, you can make this in a flash!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 orange or yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1½ Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- Heat the butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook until softened and almost caramelized, about 6–8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, rosemary, basil, and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook another 10 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken a bit.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place five dollops of ricotta cheese over the tomato mixture. With a large spoon, create a well in each mound of ricotta. Crack an egg over each, careful not to let it run into the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake for about 15 minutes (yolks will be slightly runny).