Tomato, Mozzarella, and Porchetta Panini
Slices of fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese are a classic flavor combination that is great in salads, on pizza, and in sandwiches. It is often accompanied with fresh basil leaves, but for this grilled sandwich we are using slices of porchetta (Italian pork roast) instead. Feel free to stick with the traditional caprese (tomato, mozzarella, and basil) for a vegetarian version.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 long ciabatta roll, split lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced ½" thick
- 1 large, firm tomato, sliced ½" thick
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 thin slices of porchetta
- Preheat the panini press. Generously drizzle the insides of the bread with olive oil. Add the mozzarella and ½ of the tomato slices to the bottom of the bread. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Lay porchetta slices across the tomatoes and cover with the remaining slices of tomato. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and the top roll. Place on panini press. Close lid and cook 3–5 minutes.
- Remove from panini press, cut in half, and serve warm.