Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3½ lbs.), cut into pieces
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cans (16 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. celery seed
- ½ tsp. salt
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry. Dredge in flour. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken well on both sides, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain excess oil. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook about 2 minutes, but do not brown. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, onions, mushrooms, herbs, celery seed, and salt. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the largest pieces of chicken are no longer pink in the center.