This casserole can be a vegetarian main dish or a hearty side dish to serve with meat loaf.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and the butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low, and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, parsley, basil, and oregano. Mix well.
- Spread one-third of the onion mixture in a prepared dish. Arrange half of the sliced tomatoes on top, then layer half the potatoes on the tomatoes, then sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers of tomatoes and potatoes, then top with remaining onion mixture and the remaining cheese. Cover tightly
- Bake for 80 minutes. Uncover dish and continue baking until potatoes are tender and cheese browns, about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.