Tomato Sauce with Sausage
This classic sauce is perfect to take to a potluck; it can feed a crowd with minimal cost and effort.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 lbs. Italian chicken or turkey sausages, sliced
- 2 cans (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- 7 cups cooked pasta
- ¼ cup minced Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan. Sauté the onions, carrots, garlic, and sausage until the onion is translucent and soft. Drain off any excess fat.
- Place the tomatoes and tomato paste into a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in the red pepper flakes and basil. Add the sausage mixture. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve sauce over pasta. Garnish with parsley.