Pure and basic, classic tomato soup is perfect on a chilly day. Use a sharp paring knife to peel the tomatoes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat a pot of water to boiling. Using a paring knife, stem the tomatoes and make a small, shallow X on the bottom of the tomatoes (opposite of the stem). Lower tomatoes into the hot water with a slotted spoon and let cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the pot and place in a bowl of ice water. After they have cooled for a few minutes, the skin can easily be removed by peeling back with a paring knife.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onions in oil. Add tomatoes and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Purée in blender, add cream, and season with salt and pepper.