Tomato Soup with Basil and Parmesan
This hearty soup pairs perfectly with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot on medium for about 3 minutes. Add the onions and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and add the vegetable broth. Simmer for 1 1⁄2 hours, uncovered.
- Add 1⁄4 cup basil and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered. Carefully puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and remaining 1⁄4 cup basil.