Tomato and Tortilla Soup
Make sure you have extra tortilla chips and cheese. If you serve them on the side, your guests can add more to their liking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 whole green chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 corn tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Roast the chilies on the grill or under the broiler, turning them a few times, until the skin is blackened. Transfer the peppers to a paper or plastic bag, seal it tightly, and set aside to steam (this makes them easier to peel).
- Meanwhile, drop the tomatoes into a pan of boiling water for about 15 seconds, until the peels just begin to split open; drain and rinse the tomatoes under cold water. Peel, seed, and dice the tomatoes. Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Cut the tortillas into ½"-wide strips and shred the cheese
- Peel, seed, and dice the roasted chilies.
- Using a soup pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, chilies, and garlic, sautéing on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, both kinds of broth, water, tomato juice, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the tortillas; mix well and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve soup topped with cheese.