Tomato–Bleu Cheese Bisque
Adding fresh tomatoes to a mixture of canned tomatoes makes this soup fresh-tasting and rich. Serve with a spinach salad for a light lunch.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (13 oz.) low-fat evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- In large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook and stir until liquid evaporates and mixture is thick.
- Add salt, pepper, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce; cook and stir until mixture simmers. Add chicken stock; bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until blended.
- In medium bowl, combine milk, sour cream, and flour and mix well. Add 1⁄2 cup tomato mixture to milk mixture, stirring with a wire whisk to blend. Transfer all to the soup pot. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until soup is hot. Stir in bleu cheese. Garnish with crème fraîche and serve.