Tortellini with Butternut Squash Sauce
This creamy dish is full of fall flavor. The roasted butternut squash is fresh and savory, and tastes great on its own as an entrée or with a little grilled chicken added to make a main course.
Serves: 4Prep: 45 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Kroger® Half & Half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups tortellini
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the squash in 2 halves and remove the seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the butternut squash is cooled, remove the skin and place the squash in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine 1 cup of butternut squash puree, half and half, nutmeg, paprika and salt. Heat for 2-3 minutes. Refrigerate remaining butternut squash puree for another use.
- Add the spinach on top of the mixture and cover. Turn to low heat and allow the spinach to wilt.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, bring water to a boil and add the tortellini. Cook 7-10 minutes, until the tortellini are cooked, then drain the water.
- Add the cooked and drained tortellini to the skillet with the butternut squash sauce. Stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick, add more half and half to thin the sauce.
- Serve with fresh parsley.