Tortilla Española (Spanish Omelet)
Not to be confused with the Mexican corn or wheat tortilla, this is a delicious and moist omelet that can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the diced potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced onion and season with 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the onion is translucent and the potatoes are soft and fully cooked. This process takes approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the potato and onion mixture from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and remaining turmeric. Whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in the cooled potato and onion mixture.
- Using a separate 10-inch pan over medium heat, warm up the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the egg mixture.
- Cover and cook for about 4 minutes. Carefully flip tortilla by sliding it onto a plate, inverting onto another plate, and then sliding it back into the skillet. Cook for 4 minutes longer, or until the eggs are fully cooked.