Tortilla soup has become a favorite in restaurants. Add more hot sauce to this easy recipe for added zing.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 4½ cups water
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 drops hot sauce
- 3 corn tortillas (6")
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Coat a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan with cooking spray. Place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, chilies, and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add shredded chicken, water, tomato, bouillon granules, cumin, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and hot sauce, stirring well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer one hour.
- Cut tortillas into ½" strips. Add to soup mixture. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Serve steaming hot. Garnish with cilantro.