Tortilla Soup with Avocado and Cheese
Three different forms of tomatoes builds a rich flavor base in this easy soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 cup cubed queso fresco
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, salt, and sugar. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer soup to a blender or food processor and purée in batches (or use an immersion blender).
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls and top with tortilla chips and queso freco. Sprinkle with pepper before serving.