Tournedos Rossini (Beef Fillets with Foie Gras and Black Truffle)
This is surely the most nouveau riche and over-the-top French recipe: a combination of three deluxe ingredients, beef fillet, foie gras, and black truffle! Perfect for Christmas or New Year’s Eve.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 tournedos or beef fillets (6 oz. each)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup Cognac or brandy
- 4 slices (1 oz. each) foie gras (¼" thick and 2" in diameter)
- 20 thin slices black truffles (about 1 oz. in total)
- Season the beef on each side with salt and pepper, and reserve on a plate.
- Melt the butter slowly in a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. As soon as it is liquid, put the meat in the skillet. Increase the heat to high and cook for 3–5 minutes, flipping the fillet very often. Flambé with the Cognac and take the skillet off of the heat.
- Put a slice of beef on each plate. Add a slice of foie gras on top, then add 5 slices of black truffle on top of each. Serve immediately.