This traditional baked custard in caramelized sugar is a delicious end to any Spanish or Latin American meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 9 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 large eggs
- ⅔ cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3½ cups evaporated milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs until the yolks and whites are well blended. Add the granulated sugar and salt. Beat in the evaporated milk and vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of the brown sugar onto the bottom of 4 individual ramekins. Gently pour the custard mixture over the brown sugar.
- Place the ramekins in a shallow baking pan containing hot water. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Refrigerate for 8–12 hours. Before serving, turn each ramekin onto a serving plate, then sprinkle the top with remaining brown sugar. Place it under the broiler and lightly brown the top immediately before serving.