Traditional Margherita Pizza
Originating in Naples, the Margherita is still a favorite pizza around the world. Make your own at home with this easy recipe.
Serves: 4Prep: 1 hour 10 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2⁄3 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. Simple Truth Organic™ Unfiltered Olive Oil
- 2 cups Simple Truth Organic™ All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 10 Simple Truth Organic™ Basil leaves washed, dried and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese
- To make dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and water; stir until dissolved. Sprinkle with yeast; let sit for 2-3 minutes, until foamy. Mix in one tablespoon olive oil.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together flour and salt. Add mixture to wet ingredients; stir to combine. Using floured hands, knead until smooth ball forms. Transfer dough to oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover loosely with towel and set in warm place to rise for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to prepare pizzas, preheat oven to 450°F. Divide dough and make two 10” pizzas; place on baking sheet or pizza stone. Using fork, prick crust all over; brush with olive oil.
- Bake dough for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining olive oil, garlic and salt; add tomatoes and toss to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Brush each crust with tomato mixture. Sprinkle on half of mozzarella cheese. Top with tomatoes, basil and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake pizzas for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.