Traditional Savory Johnnycakes
These traditional American cakes can be served with syrup, like pancakes, or served alongside a savory meal, like traditional corn bread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup fine-ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan bring milk and butter to a boil over medium heat. At the boil, remove from heat and stir in cornmeal. Set aside to soften for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, and egg to the softened cornmeal. Mix thoroughly, then stir in all-purpose flour.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When hot, ladle batter out small spoonfuls of batter and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Keep cakes warm in a low oven, and repeat with remaining batter.