Traditional Slow Cooker Barbecue Sauce
Use this sauce as youʼd use any barbecue sauce, as a serving sauce served on the side, or as a dipping sauce. Most barbecue seasoning mixes contain salt, so salt isnʼt added to this recipe. You can change up the flavor of this sauce by using a mix of yellow mustard and Dijon or stone-ground mustard, adding red pepper flakes or some Mrs. Dash (Extra Spicy or Southwest Chipotle) seasoning, or substituting lemon juice for the vinegar.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp. barbecue seasoning
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix. Cover and, stirring every 15 minutes, cook on high for 1 hour or until the mixture reaches a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and, continuing to stir every 15 minutes, cook uncovered 1 hour or until the sauce has reached desired thickness. Ladle into glass jars; cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.