Traditional Spanish Gazpacho
This is the traditional cold tomato soup from sunny Spain. It’s a lovely light lunch or first course in summer, when tomatoes are at their best.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 large red tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup bread cubes
- 1⁄4 tsp. Spanish paprika
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 small sprigs basil
- Reserve 2 tablespoons each of the diced bell pepper and cucumber. Set aside.
- Place remaining bell peppers and cucumber in a blender with tomato, garlic vinegar, oil, bread cubes, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Purée until smooth.
- Pour into a serving pitcher and chill at least 3 hours.
- Serve chilled, garnished with reserved diced vegetables and basil sprigs.