Traditional Three-Bean Salad
One of the most important ingredients in a traditional bean salad is the sugar, as it not only sweetens everything up but also helps bond the different flavors together.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) French-cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) yellow (wax) beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 large white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, onion, and dressing. Mix well. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. If desired, salad can be drained before serving.