Truly Blackened Catfish
This works best with small catfish fillets instead of large ones. Ideally each fillet should be around 4 ounces.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. spicy paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. small catfish fillets
- Melt butter in a shallow bowl. Combine spices and place on a plate. Dip fish in butter and then sprinkle or roll fish in spices.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill on medium-high. Place a cast-iron skillet over direct heat for 10 minutes. Let it sit until white ash forms in the bottom of the skillet.
- Place fillets in the skillet. Pour 1 tablespoon of melted butter over each fillet. Be careful of flaming butter. Cook for 2 minutes before turning fillets and cooking for another 2 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.