Tuna Bake with Mushrooms and Broccoli
This classic dish has stood the test of time. This version adds mushrooms and broccoli for a change of pace.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 8 oz. wide egg noodles, cooked
- 4 cans (9 oz.) tuna, drained
- 1⁄2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they are brown and have given up their liquids, about 10 minutes. Add the butter and melt. Add the flour and mix well. Slowly add the cream to the butter mixture, stirring as you pour. Bring to just under a boil, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add salt, pepper, cheese, and mustard. Continue to stir until all of the cheese is melted. Gently stir in broccoli, egg noodles, and tuna. Add milk as needed to reach a creamy consistency.
- Transfer tuna mixture to the prepared baking dish. Toss the cornflakes with the melted butter and spread over the casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is brown and the mixture is bubbling. Serve hot.