Turkey Breakfast Casserole
This is a great protein-packed breakfast that will give you something extra special to serve over the holidays.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups (about 6 oz.) bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 5 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the turkey in a large, non-stick skillet, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked through. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan, then add the spinach and garlic. Stir until the spinach has started to wilt. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and stir the spinach again. Set aside.
- Spray a 9”x13” casserole dish with non-stick spray. Layer the bread, spinach, and turkey into the dish. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl and pour over the ingredients in the baking dish. Top with the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Uncover and bake the casserole for 50-55 minutes or until the casserole is puffed and golden.