Turkey and Eggplant Casserole
A classic and hearty Italian dinner, enjoy this dish as a main on top of fresh pasta, or make it part of your Tour D’Italia plate.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2.5 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add garlic and onions. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender (about 3 minutes). Add the turkey and brown, stirring occasionally to break apart.
- Remove the stem from the eggplant and slice into ½"-thick rounds. Arrange the rounds in a 9" × 9" lightly greased baking pan. Layer the browned turkey mixture over top. Sprinkle with the garlic salt.
- Pour tomato sauce over the turkey and eggplant rounds. Layer the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 45–60 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender.