Turkey and Fig Balls
For a fun variation on the classic Thanksgiving turkey, try serving these meatballs as part of the holiday feast.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 thick slices day-old or toasted Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. dried sage
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup turkey broth or chicken broth
- Soak the bread in water for 1 minute. Thoroughly squeeze out all the liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine soaked bread, figs, onion, sage, turkey, egg, pecans, and pepper. Form the mixture into balls about 2 to 3 inches in size.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry meatballs for 30 minutes, uncovered, turning occasionally until cooked through.
- Transfer the meatballs to paper towels to drain. Serve with broth.