Turkey and Herb Meatballs with Fresh Tomato Sauce
These meatballs are bright and fresh, and the nearly hands-off tomato sauce compliments them perfectly.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped oregano, divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the turkey, egg, 2 tablespoons basil, 1 tablespoon oregano, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Divide mixture into 8 meatballs. Bake on a large, rimmed sheet pan for 30 minutes, or until they register 160°F with a meat thermometer.
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, shallot, and the remaining salt, basil, and oregano in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Serve the meatballs with the sauce.