Turkey Sloppy Joes
Not a fan of hamburger buns? You can also make the sloppy joes with sandwich buns, on a loaf of French or Italian bread, or even with tortilla or nacho chips.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into chunks
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- ⅓ cup crumbled Havarti cheese
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers. Cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until the onion is softened. Drain the fat out of the pan.
- Add the water, ketchup, brown sugar, and red wine vinegar. Stir in the cumin and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the turkey mixture over the hamburger buns. Sprinkle the crumbled cheese on top.