Popular during the holidays, this is the perfect way to put your leftover turkey to good use. This can also be used as a substitute in recipes calling for chicken stock.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 11 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 10 black peppercorns
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 4 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- 4 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 4 quarts water
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 leeks (white parts only), thickly sliced
- 1 turkey carcass, cut up
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Strain the stock through a double-layer of cheesecloth, discarding the solids.
- Refrigerate 4 hours. Remove fat from surface of stock.
- Freeze or refrigerate the stock and use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.