Turmeric Rice (Peele Chawal)
Turmeric powder gives the rice its stunning yellow color.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 serrano green chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Table salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- Rinse the rice at least 3 to 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
- In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the green chilies and onions; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the salt, turmeric, and rice; sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the water and stir for 1 minute. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Loosely cover with a lid and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
- Cover tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.