Turnip Gratin with Leeks and Thyme
Smaller turnips are generally more tender and flavorful in this recipe.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium or 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into thin disks
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter, plus extra for greasing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a gratin dish.
- Place half of the turnip slices in the dish in an even layer. Layer all of the leek slices on top, sprinkle with half the thyme, and salt and pepper, and then with the rest of the turnip slices. Pour the cream over the top. Dot the top with butter, and bake for about 45 to 55 minutes, until the gratin is cooked through and brown and bubbly on top.
- To check for doneness, insert a thin-bladed knife into the center of the gratin. The blade should insert easily with minimal resistance. Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Top with remaining chopped thyme.