Turnip and Potato Gratin
Warm, bubbly, and delicious, this is comfort food at its best. Serve as a side dish or add some crumbled soy sausage to make this a main dish.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 lbs. turnips, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking dish with the butter and spoon the garlic all over. Mix the potatoes and turnips and arrange them in the pan.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a medium saucepan and season with salt and pepper; pour over the vegetables, sprinkle with cheese, and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes; uncover and cook another 25 minutes, or until potatoes and turnips are tender and sauce is bubbling and browned on top.