Tuscan Lemon Muffins
Let these muffins transport your taste buds to Tuscany. These muffins are light and airy thanks to the ricotta cheese, and are flecked with grated lemon zest with a crunch of raw sugar on top. Each moist, subtly sweet bite is a feast for the senses, heightened by the flavor of olive oil.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- Juice and grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Measure flours, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta, water, oil, egg, and lemon zest and juice; whisk well. Add ricotta mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moist.
- Spray muffin cups lightly with olive oil spray, then divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 16 minutes until lightly golden. Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve immediately.