Tuscan Mushroom Crostini
These earthy toasts are a great addition to any tapas spread. They are also a great starter for an Italian-style meal.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 baguette of crusty Italian bread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Make the mushroom sauce: Sauté garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and sauté for another minute or two over medium-high. Add the white wine and sherry, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the liquid reduces by half (5 to 10 minutes). Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, then remove the pan from the heat. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice the bread into ¼-inch-thick rounds and lay them out on a cookie sheet. Toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes. Turn them over and toast the other side. Remove from oven and set aside. Rub remaining garlic on each piece of toast, drizzle them with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Top the toasts with mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with basil and serve warm.