Tuscan Pasta Fagioli
This traditional pasta and bean soup is an Italian classic. You could easily add shredded greens or chopped carrots and celery to boost the nutrition and fiber of this dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh rosemary leaves
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat; gently cook onion and garlic in oil until soft but not browned, about 4–6 minutes. Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, rosemary, and pepper.
- Purée 1½ cups cannellini beans in a food processor or blender; add to pot. Cover and simmer 20–30 minutes.
- While stock is simmering, cook pasta until al dente; drain. Add remaining beans and pasta to stock; heat through. Serve with Parmesan cheese.