Tuscan Tomato and Bread Soup
This soup, known as Pappa al Pomodoro, is a Tuscan classic. It's a great way to use up leftover Italian bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes and their juice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups cubed stale crusty bread
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Heat half of the olive oil in a pot on medium-high. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in bread and cheese. Pour into 2 warmed bowls and top with the basil leaves.