Twice-Cooked Crab Cakes
Twice-cooked crab cakes will certainly make an impression on your guests, while steamed cakes rolled in bread crumbs can be frozen for later use.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup crab meat
- 1 cup ground pork
- 2 tsp. minced cilantro roots or stems
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1½ Tbsp. light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 3 Tbsp. panko bread crumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine crab meat, ground pork, cilantro roots or stems, garlic, pepper, soy sauce, salt, and 1 egg. Mix well with hands.
- In each of 4 small ramekin press ½ cup of the mixture. Place the ramekins in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Take the mixture out of the ramekins. Beat one egg and dip the cooked mixture in the egg to coat. Roll the wet patties in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a heavy, medium frying pan to 350°F. Fry the patties for 2 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy. Turn the patties halfway through frying to ensure even browning. Drain on paper towels.