Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 6 large eggs, separated
- Measure enough foil to go around a 2-quart soufflé dish plus a 2-to-3-inch overlap. Fold foil into thirds lengthwise. Lightly butter one side. With the buttered side in, position the foil around the dish, letting the collar extend 2 inches above the top of the dish; fasten with tape. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir in the flour, salt, and cayenne. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Beat egg yolks until thick. Slowly add cheese mixture to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Using clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour the cheese-yolk mixture over the beaten whites, folding to combine. Pour into the ungreased soufflé dish. Bake about 1 1⁄2 hours or until a knife inserted in the soufflé comes out clean. Gently peel off the collar. Serve immediately.