Two-Cheese Walnut Pesto
Pesto can be used as a dip on its own, spread onto slices of baguette, or tossed with hot pasta.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pine nuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until nuts smell fragrant and are light brown. Remove nuts and place on paper towel to cool. Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes, shaking occasionally until nuts smell fragrant and are light brown. Remove nuts and place on paper towel to cool.
- Combine cooled nuts, garlic, basil leaves, grated cheese, salt, and pepper in blender or food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. With the blender or food processor turned on, stream in 3⁄4 cup olive oil until a loose sauce forms.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Freeze for longer storage.