Ukrainian Borscht for Canning
Serve this hearty soup with dark rye bread.
Makes: 8 quartsHands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 8 quarts
- 5 lbs. smoked pork shoulder or smoked butt
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 lbs. beets, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp. sour salt or 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. caraway seeds
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- In a large stockpot, place smoked shoulder or smoked butt, carrots, onions, parsnips, celery, and bay leaves; cover with water. Bring to a boil; turn heat down and cook 1½ hours, until meat is fork-tender. Remove meat; discard bay leaves.
- Add remaining ingredients to broth, and cook another hour, until all vegetables are fork-tender. Remove from heat; let cool, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if using butt, remove meat from bones; set aside. If using smoked pork shoulder, debone it. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces with the least amount of fat on them. Add meat back to stockpot.
- Turn heat back on and simmer until soup is hot. Ladle meat and veggies into sterilized quart-sized jars. Fill with hot liquid, leaving 1" headspace. Process at 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.