Ultimate Grilled Ribs
Grilling season is upon us which means one thing – it’s time to fire up the barbie and make ribs! These fall-off-the-bone favorites are the epitome of perfect summer cookout meals. Enjoy tender meat and homemade barbecue sauce with this simple and surefire recipe.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 2 hours 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cayenne powder, plus 2 tsp., divided
- 1⁄2 tablespoon celery salt
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt, plus ½ tsp., divided
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 racks (6 lbs.) Kroger® Back Ribs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- Trim excess fat and membrane from ribs. In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup dark brown sugar, 1½ tablespoons cayenne powder, celery salt, 3 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard seed and paprika.
- Using rub, generously coat ribs on both sides. Using two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil, wrap each rib rack. Poke venting slits in each foil pack.
- Preheat grill to medium-low heat. Place foil-wrapped racks on grill, close lid; cook 1-2 hours, until ribs are tender but not falling apart.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Cook onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook about 1 minute. Whisk in ½ cup dark brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, ketchup, 2 teaspoons cayenne powder, 1½ teaspoons black pepper, chili powder, mustard seed and ½ teaspoon salt until combined. Bring sauce to boil, then simmer gently 20-30 minutes.
- In a blender, blend sauce until smooth.
- Once cooked, unwrap ribs and discard juices. Oil grill and turn heat up to high. Brush ribs with barbecue sauce and grill on both sides 10–15 minutes.