Ultimate Soft-Shelled Crab Sandwich
A true delicacy, the soft-shelled crab is a springtime treat. Ask your fishmonger to clean them for you, as it is messy and a bit complicated.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cold egg
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large soft-shelled crabs
- 4 slices hearty wheat bread
- 1 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup tartar sauce
- Heat the oil in a pot or deep-fryer to 375°F.
- Mix together the flour, egg, water, Old Bay, and salt and pepper. Do not overmix. Keep cold.
- Dip the crabs in the batter and carefully place them in the oil. Fry for about 5 minutes or until the oil stops bubbling and the crabs float, turning once. Transfer to paper towels to drain, and blot dry.
- Spread tartar sauce on the slices of bread. Place the lettuce and tomato on the bread and place the fried crabs on top. Serve hot.